Anyone who is constructing a building, whether residential or commercial, thinks not just about the appearance and size, but also how well it will stand up in the long term. Another factor any prospective building owner should keep in mind is how much money can be saved after the initial investment. A steel building may cost more than a wooden structure at the outset, but other factors make it the more worthwhile choice as the years go by. Here are some of the reasons why steel is a good option for your budget.
- Lower Insurance – wooden structures are prone to damage from insects and mold growth. A fire can spread quickly and demolish the building. Insurers consider these factors and place higher premiums on these buildings.
- Low maintenance – the upkeep on a steel building is much lower than it is for a steel or concrete building. Steel building owners generally spend less money on maintenance. Wood needs occasional refinishing, and concrete can develop cracks.
- Faster construction – steel building components are constructed offsite and then put together at the location. This leads to a more rapid return on investment on commercial buildings since they can be occupied quickly.
- Lifespan – a building that is more capable of dealing with environmental factors will last longer. Most roof types can last anywhere from 10 to 20 years, but steel roofs last much longer, and for a lifetime in some cases.
- Expansion possibilities – at some point there may be a need to get more square footage, and expanding a steel building costs less. There is no need for cutting walls and wasting materials, and any section that needs to be removed can be recycled.
- Sustainability – nowadays there is much concern about the impact of construction projects on the environment. Building demolition can also have a negative effect on the environment. The use of steel buildings addresses both of these concerns. Pulling down one of these buildings does not release potentially harmful materials into the air or groundwater. Additionally, most steel buildings are comprised of more than 80% recycled material.
There are plenty of good reasons to consider a steel building, but the cost benefits are the main selling points. These structures are highly durable and suitable for storing a variety of materials. They also offer a greater level of security.
Constructing a building with steel requires a lot of attention to detail. Our construction project managers work with steel on a regular basis. We are involved in many multi-family steel construction projects as well as other commercial and residential projects. Call us at 407-316-8544 to discuss ways to improve your upcoming construction project in the Orlando area or in other areas of central Florida.